This Zoosk review will give you a good idea of how it compares to other dating sites and apps. Discover its best online dating features, pros and cons, price breakdown, as well as how to get the most potential matches
Our comprehensive Zoosk review will also show you the difference between the free account and paid subscription features. Are you going to join the millions of Zoosk users out there? Decide below.
Our Zoosk review
Zoosk is a dating platform for adults from all ages and backgrounds. It has been around for a long time and seems to attract users who are looking for either serious relationships or more casual encounters.
Zoosk is a friendly site and has a lot of fun features. The Smart Pick technology takes into account the profiles you like and dislike and refines the profiles you are shown. This removes the need for a lengthy initial questionnaire.
Zoosk App vs Zoosk Dating Site
The Zoosk dating app can be downloaded for Apple iPhones or Google Android. Additionally, you can also use Zoosk on a web browser. However, if you’re on the go it’s better to get the app.
All the dating platform features are shared across devices, the main difference between the app and online dating site versions of Zoosk is appearance and layout. On a computer, the profile picture will appear off the side, while on the app it’ll be up top because of the smaller screen.
Our tip when it comes to using Zoosk is to set up your dating profile on your computer. Then, you can browse matches on your app to your heart’s content.
Overall Ease of Use
One of the things behind Zoosk’s broad appeal is its user-friendly site. It’s designed to appeal to a wide range of people looking for an accessible dating experience.
This dating service doesn’t bash you with endless questions at the start. You have the Smart Picks area which unlocks the full power of the Zoosk algorithm. You’ll answer brief questions to get refined dating profile recommendations there.
Other key features, like Dating Insights, Zoosk Coins, visibility settings and notifications are all only a few taps or clicks away. If you use social media, you’ll be right at home on Zoosk.
Finding the perfect match on Zoosk
Browsing dating profiles on Zoosk is easy both on mobile and desktop versions. All you need to do is scroll. This means that you only need to read profile information if you like someone’s main picture. You can also scroll back up, which users seem to like.
Zoosk also lets you create search filters based on age range, distance radius, height, body type, ethnicity and other criteria. You can save search settings too for ease of use. This can definitely help you nail that perfect match.
You can also use the carousel feature if you like swiping. The algorithm on Zoosk uses behavioural matchmaking to refine the dating profiles you see. So whether you are looking for hookups or a serious relationship, your potential matches will be refined over time.
Tip: Boost your chances of matching
Check out the notifications and suggestions Zoosk emails you. Users have found those algorithm picks more likely to get them an ideal date.
Zoosk review: Pros and Cons
Zoosk is a user-friendly dating platform that gives you the best of both worlds, scrolling and swiping dating profiles. While there’s room for improvement on video features and virtual gift options, Zoosk is worth trying out.
- Streamlined and convenient free sign-up process
- Same features available across the app and website
- Familiar, user-friendly dating site and app design: the app offers special features like Zoosk Carousel and Smart Picks
- You can scroll back up to check out a dating profile for free
- Comprehensive search functionality with multiple filtering options
- Robust safety features like photo verification reduce scams and fake profiles
- Good balance of genders across Zoosk’s 80,000 active weekly users
- Online dating video features need to be easier for matches to use
- Virtual gifts and Zoosk offers can be confusing to understand
- You have to pay to send messages to other Zooskers after the 7-day trial period
- A fair amount of ads for free account users
The only major criticisms we found while doing this Zoosk review are confusing premium features like Zoosk Coins. There’s an opportunity to better integrate virtual currency and paid membership benefits for all users.
The Zoosk price options for premium features vary. Your month subscription amount varies according to whether you pay monthly or front up for a 6-month deal.
How much does Zoosk cost?
Zoosk cost can vary quite a bit. The best monthly deal is the 6-month one. Check out the paid subscription price breakdown below.
|Paid Subscription Length||Total cost||Cost per month|
|1 month||£20.83 every month||£20.83 per month|
|3 months||Single payment of £37.48||£12.49 per month|
|6 months||Single payment of £49.95||£8.32 per month|
|12 months||Single payment of £99.90||£8.32 per month|
The 6 month and 12 month Zoosk paid plans offer equivalent value for money. The only reason to go for the year-long option is to balance convenience with value for money. Meanwhile the one month option is the least cost-effective, if you want to get the most out of Zoosk.
Be aware that the above paid subscriptions auto-renew once you reach the end of the period.
In addition to the monthly subscription, Zoosk also has a virtual currency called Zoosk Coins. You can use them to buy virtual gifts or to boost your profile. This is very similar to coin packs you buy in mobile app gaming. Here’s what they cost approximately (depending on any seasonal promotions):
|Zoosk Coin Packs||Cost in AU$||Rate per coin|
How to save money on Zoosk
Something we found out when doing this review is that there’s a one-off activation fee of around There are three main ways to save money and get the most of the paid features on Zoosk. These tips are essential if you want to get chatting and messaging with millions of weekly active Zoosk members.
- Keep an eye out for any promo codes or Zoosk offers
- Go for the 6 month paid subscription to get the best monthly Zoosk price.
- Take advantage of ways to earn free Zoosk coins: daily raffles, bonus coins for installing the Zoosk app or liking a Facebook page.
Free account vs Paid membership features
The key difference between free and paid subscription for Zoosk members is the ability to message other profiles and chat.
Zoosk only has one paid subscription level. Unlike other dating services, your monthly fee covers all the paid features. You can optionally boost those as needed with Zoosk coin packs. However, there are no key features locked away on a higher paid subscription tier.
What can I do for free on Zoosk?
There’s actually plenty to get started with for free on Zoosk. Compared to other dating sites, you can do a decent amount of things before having to pay for anything. Let’s take a look at what the free membership entitles you to.
- Register for an account without having to give credit card info
- Create a full dating profile
- Access the Carousel feature and see people to match with
- Send smiles and hearts
- View other Zoosk members helping the algorithm refine what it shows you
- Access Zoosk outside of your country. Zoosk is available across 80 countries making it a popular online dating platform worldwide.
What do I get when I pay the monthly fee?
Zoosk offers the following premium features to paying members. The main focus here is being able to chat with other users, get more insightful profile recommendations and visibility options. Let’s take a look at the paid features.
- Send full messages to other users (not just smiles and hearts)
- Chat with matches or in chat rooms
- See who likes you
- Full SmartPicks functions
What about Zoosk coins?
Zoosk also has a virtual currency called Zoosk Coins, which you can use to enhance your dating experience. Think of them as power ups, they are not essential to use Zoosk but they can make things more fun and rewarding.
Zoosk coins can be used to pay for temporarily boosting your profile in searches, sending virtual gifts and sending one message to multiple members with Super Send. Zoosk coins can be bought and used by free or paid members.
As a free member, Zoosk coins can give you limited access to paid features “à la carte”. While for a paid member, they can expand your reach or give you more opportunities linked to certain premium features.
Registration and getting started with Zoosk
Let’s review the Zoosk registration process step by step.
How to sign up to Zoosk
Here are the Zoosk registration steps.
- Go to Zoosk.com
- Enter your email, orientation and indicate preferences
- Enter your location
- Add your criteria for body type, religion, views on having children, highest level of education etc.
- Check your inbox for an activation email – your access to the account is limited if you don’t do this.
The whole sign up process takes around five minutes. If you want to make it even quicker, you may use your Google or Facebook account. It takes about ten minutes to complete the profile with all the relevant information.
While signing up with Zoosk is fast, it’s a good idea to take advantage of these other features to enhance your account security and experience.
- Photo verification
- Adding a phone number
- Smart Pick questionnaires for better suggestions
Zoosk registration shortcuts
If you’re in a real hurry, then the photo upload section can be skipped, but this inevitably affects how many people will interact with you. It also means you can’t use the Zoosk carousel, which is the main way info is gathered to build Zoosk’s behavioural matchmaking.
Use the Carousel
It’s clear that the Carousel feature is what makes Zoosk different from other comparable dating sites. For each person you see, you can select from ‘match’, ‘meet’ or ‘maybe’. Zoosk uses this to build up a picture of the type of person you’re looking for.
While this feature might be similar to Bumble or Tinder, Zoosk adds the “maybe” which helps if you’re unsure or ambivalent about a certain profile. This makes the dating experience on Zoosk less black and white.
You can either use the carousel feature to find a match, which shows photos of users, or the search option that lets you find matches by profession, appearance, or other key details like views on having children.
How to chat on Zoosk
Once you’ve signed up, contacting other Zoosk users is straightforward. You can send hearts, smiles and gifts. This is provided you either have enough Zoosk coins or a paid membership.
Unless you’ve paid or have enough coins, you can’t send or reply to messages which is frustrating but is meant to encourage you to sign up for the premium features. For subscribers, messaging and chat is easy – just one click or tap away.
Our dating app recommendations
These are our top dating app picks for the UK. Find the best option for you.
- Simple, discreet hookups on the go
- Perfect for local matching
- Match based on special interests and more
- Share pics and videos
- Large database of Asian and European singles in the UK
- Full control of your profile to set your desired privacy settings
- Attend virtual events to meet even more members
- Easy to use mobile app
- Leader for serious dating apps
- Match with local partners or by city
- Perfect for finding love on the go
- Caters to matching academics and professionals for serious dating
- Match and meet with singles locally or by city
- Flexible for mobile users
- Meet matches who fit your schedule
- Enjoy dating to find a serious, lasting romance
- Active members across the UK
- Ideal for serious relationships with over 50 seniors
- User-friendly and simple to use
- Match up with locals
- Chat, message, share video and more
Personality assessment for enhanced screening
Global reach. Match with like-minded singles all over the world
Meet your equal in values, lifestyle, and career ambition
- Ignite romance right in your vicinity
- Enjoy exact matching thanks to accurate filters;
- And explore many more benefits that will help you find love!
- Offers unlimited messages and great value with a Welcome Offer for the new members
- More than a dating site. Gives access to engaging and unique VIP Content for its premium members
- Secure. Supports a variety of safe and convenient payment options, like Google Pay and Apple Pay
- Easy and convenient interface
- Perfect for casual dating & hookups
- Plenty of members for you to have fun with
- Meet attractive Asian, European, & Latino singles
- Quick and free signup
- Casual or serious online dating
Engage in romantic conversations of an exciting nature with REBLL Network’s premium British dating community. If you are looking for teasingly playful connections, meaningful deeper interactions, or anything in between, you have arrived at your destination! Let us create memorable experiences for you that leave you both satisfied and wanting more. Check out our perks:
Flirty Conversations: Engage in playful banter, exchange virtual surprises, and enjoy interactive charm with potential matches that make your heart race.
Captivating Profiles: Create a profile that dazzles! Share your most alluring photos, fun videos, and witty bio snippets to showcase your unique charm.
Exciting Encounters: Join us at local events, where sparks fly, connections sizzle, and you'll find yourself wrapped up in thrilling moments with other singles in the UK.
Personalized Connections: Immerse yourself in Exclusive Matches, where cutting-edge algorithms work their magic, connecting you with individuals who ignite your interests and desires.
Safety with a Spark: Your safety is our top priority, wrapped in an air of mystery and excitement. Exclusive Matches ensures a secure yet exhilarating dating experience, where you can let your guard down and embrace the adventure.
- Best for: Open-minded looking for "no strings attached" fun
- Free membership: Free registration, limited
- Users: 54 million
FAQ: Zoosk review
Our comprehensive Zoosk FAQ has information to answer most common questions regarding Zoosk and its online dating service.
How can I tell if someone is a subscriber?
If someone is a subscriber to Zoosk, it’s indicated on their profile, and only subscribers can send messages.
How can I block someone?
Click the report/block button on their profile
How can I remove connections?
If you decide you don’t want to talk to someone anymore, just remove them as a connection. This is really straightforward.
From your computer:
- Log in to zoosk.com
- Click on “Connections”
- Click the picture of the connection you want to remove. This brings up a menu
- Click “remove connection” and click “yes” to confirm.
From your Android or iOS device:
- Log in to the Zoosk app
- Tap on the profile you want to remove from connections
- Tap the three dots “…” – you’ll find these on the top right of the profile
- Choose “Remove Chat Permission” from the list of actions
What does it mean to add someone on Zoosk?
Adding someone means you’re interested in them and want to talk. Whenever you send a like or a smile, it means you want to make a connection.
How can I tell when someone was last online?
You’ll see a green dot if they’re online now, or a blue dot if they were online recently.
How can I chat on Zoosk?
The Zoosk chat room is available to all paid members to access. Look for the Chat function or chatroom area to get started.
How do I change the country on Zoosk?
- Go to zoosk.com and log in.
- Click on your profile photo at the top right corner, then click on “My Profile”.
- Next to your location select “edit”.
- Enter your new location or postcode and click “save”.
What are Zoosk coins?
Zoosk coins are used to buy extra features. With Zoosk coins you can:
- Boost your profile
- Send virtual gifts like flowers, or a box of chocolates
- Browse invisibly for a limited time.
You can buy Zoosk coins or earn them through occasional promotions.
What are Zoosk personals?
These are messages that come directly to your inbox.
What are Zoosk gifts?
You can send a virtual gift, such as chocolates, flowers or a virtual kiss.
What are Zoosk Smart Picks?
These are people Zoosk picks out for you by gathering and analysing your browsing and liking activity on the site. Zoosk Smart picks are like Google search results but for online dating.
Zoosk uses an algorithm to hone its selection of profiles you see on Smart Picks. These will be dating profiles Zoosk deems to be most relevant to you.
What is Zoosk Carousel?
This is Zoosk’s main matchmaking feature. Using Zoosk Carousel you can send flirt pings or skip a person if they’re not your cup of tea. Who you choose or reject affects the Smart Picks Zoosk reviews.
What are Zoosk connections?
A connection is made if you and another member both say “yes” to each other.
How much does it cost to message on Zoosk?
To be able to message on Zoosk, you need a paid subscription. These can cost anywhere between AU$34.95 and AU$14.95 per month depending on how long you sign up for.
Why is Zoosk sending me emails?
You might be getting emails for Zoosk offers but also for dating profile recommendations Zoosk reviewed which you might find interesting. Either way, you can change your email and notification preferences both on the dating app and website.
Does Zoosk show up on Facebook or Google?
Zoosk does not show up on your Google or Facebook account. If you sign up through either one, Zoosk will pull details and photos to prefill your profile so you don’t have to go through the hassle. If that doesn’t sound good to you, just sign up with your email address.
Is Zoosk a legitimate site?
Yes, Zoosk has well-thought out security features to ensure members are safe. Zoosk reviews fake profiles and potential scams. Moderators are on hand to review flagged profiles and track suspicious behaviour.
What is Zoosk’s company information?
Zoosk Founders and CEO: Shayan Zadeh and Alex Mehr
Main Website: www.zoosk.com
989 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103