- Use Match’s Incognito mode to browse members’ profiles without them knowing
- Hundreds of local events to attend through Match’s “Stir”
- Plenty of exciting ways to meet people online and offline
- A large number of registered users
- A good package of free services
- Special function: "people nearby"
- FREE to Sign Up
- Quick & easy to Join
- Find Handsome Gay Men In different regions
Looking for different dating sites?
Table of Contents
How gay dating works
The first of the gay dating sites was launched in 1999 and since then there has been an explosion in the number of homosexual dating sites and apps. Whether you’re looking for Mr Right or just Mr Right Now, read our beginner’s guide to the best of the best.
Technically, sites and apps dedicated to date gays work in exactly the same way as those for heterosexuals. You register, using an email address and a username, possibly answer a few questions and then complete your profile.
Many sites and dating apps offer users the chance to use their services for free, but this doesn’t necessarily include crucial features, such as messaging and the ability to send photos. However, using those sites for free does give you a chance to ‘test-drive’ them and see what you like.
If you want to feel the benefits of all the features on offer, the chances are you’ll have to pay for a subscription. Typically, these come at different price-points and cover membership for anything between one week and one year.
Once you’ve unlocked the premium features, you can engage with other gay singles, chat, flirt and send private messages. You can browse the profiles of other adult gay men and even see who’s browsed yours.
Some of the better mobile homosexual dating UK providers offer use geo-locational tracking to show you where your potential dates are and meet for dates or hookups. Homosexual apps have revolutionised the way adult gay men in the 21st Century are able to connect with each other.
How to make the most of gay dating sites and apps
While attitudes towards homosexuality have been changing for the better, there are still some dating obstacles that are specific to the homosexual community. Using homosexual sites UK providers offer might take some of the pressure off, but it won’t remove all of it.
One of the first things to remember, whether you’re using dating sites to find a long-term partner or apps like Grindr to have some fun, is to respect other users. Something that straight couples don’t have to deal with is coming out and this can be an emotionally tough time for some.
Another user might not be as ‘out’ as you are and may need time to announce that they’re in a same-sex relationship. While this might be frustrating for you, a little empathy and respect can go a long way. Conversely, if you’re still quietly dusting the closet, don’t feel pressured to come out until you’re ready.
In all cases, honesty is the best tactic and stating exactly what you’re looking for and what you will and won’t tolerate are key to finding like-minded gay singles.
The best place to do this is on your profile. While most throw the spotlight on their photos, a good ‘About Me’ piece is the best way to ensure that the guys you’re matched with are the guys you want to talk to. Be open about who are and what you want from your date but don’t play all your cards at once.
Photos are vital on dating sites and apps like Grindr, where the aim of the game is a casual hookup. However, don’t assume that just because you’re in them, they must be great. Choose photos that portray you in an honest light, to save a lot of wasted time and potential disappointment.
Engaging with other gay singles on in-app forums and chatrooms is another great way of testing the waters. Often, these services are free and, if you’re new to the online dating world, offer a great way to let other users know you’re out there, without diving into the deep end.
It’s also important to keep yourself safe online, particularly if you want to keep your private life private. Try and choose a username that doesn’t reveal anything personal about you, such as your surname or phone number.
In addition, never feel pressured into divulging any details you don’t want to. While security for gay dating sites has improved, you’ll still find the occasional scammer and fake profiles lurking in the shadows. If you’re ever asked for your banking details, walk away as soon as you can.
Offline safety is just as important as online. Whether you’re just hooking up or meeting for a romantic date, meet in public to begin with. You might want to set a time-limit on your first encounter, just to find out more about your date, before committing any further.
What is the best gay dating website and app?
Deciding which are the best apps or sites for you is going to take a little trial and error. In addition, it depends on what you’re after. If you’re looking for a long-term same-sex relationship, then you’ll want to avoid apps like Grindr.
However, if you’re looking after something fun and without any strings attached, then apps like Grindr are exactly where it’s at. Because there are now so many niches in the homosexual community, you’ll find a huge amount of sites catering to all different tastes.
Whether you’re a fan of bears or twinks or you’re a dedicated top or bottom, you’ll find dating sites and dating apps where like-minded adult gay men are looking for the same. The only real way to find out which is the best gay dating app for you is to try a few out and see what works.
If you know which sites tickle your fancy, but want to know more, then check out some of our reviews. There’s no better way to make an educated decision that from impartial recommendations and you’ll be fully aware of all the pros and cons before you even think about a subscription.
Which GLBT app should I use?
The best way to choose between the many homosexual dating apps & sites UK providers have to choose from is to think about what you want. To help you navigate the choppy waters of online dates, we’ve put together some things you might want to consider.
• Are you looking for a meaningful relationship with someone of the same sexual orientation or would you prefer short encounters, without all the commitment? If it’s the former, then consider sites where the focus is on quality rather than quantity.
• Is discretion important to you? Some users are already in long-term partnerships or are even married. While they might want to have some fun, it’s also important to them that their partners remain unaware of their extra-curricular activities.
• Is location important to you? Adult gay men from smaller communities might find it difficult to meet other homosexual singles. Online dating allows you to cast your net as far as you’re prepared to travel. Many gay apps allow you to use location and distance in your search filters.
• Are you from a particular faith or cultural background? It might be worth looking at some of the ‘niche’ gay dating sites, so that you don’t have to worry about raising the subject in the first place. Niche sites are available for a whole host of preferences and interests.
• Would you prefer to find friends, rather than a partner? Some of the best apps and sites create a sense of community, rather than focusing on finding a date. Look for sites with chatrooms and forums where you can engage with other users, at your own pace.
• How much are you prepared to spend? Same-sex dating sites come in all shapes and sizes and price-ranges can vary. Test-drive a few for free before deciding which one gives you the best value for money. Longer subscriptions tend to reduce monthly costs but can mean a larger upfront payment.