- No commitment dating
- Chat, flirt, and make arrangements
- Good for local gay hookups
- Safe and discreet
- Simple and clear to use
- Flexible for mobile or from the comfort of your home
- Safe and discreet for meeting local gay men
- Filter by location and interests
- Perfect for reliable, lasting relationships
- User-friendly and a leader in online dating
- Great for local dating with gay men or search by city
- Optimal for advanced matching with successful academics
- Filter by local or location
- Meet gay partners who fit your ideal date
- Enjoy casual sex at your discretion
- Secure, private services
- Flexible for mobile and at home
- Discreet and casual services for no commitment hookups
- Filter gay men by age, ethnicity, location, and more
- User-friendly and flexible for your needs
- Best for: Anonymous and discreet encounters
- Free membership: Free registration
- Users: Chat with thousands of attractive singles
- Caters to highly motivated, successful singles
- Advanced matching for ideal gay dating opportunities
- Filter by age, location, interests and more
- Enjoy chatting and sharing pics and videos
- Active gay community locally and across the UK
- Filter by interests, kinks, and more
- Great for meeting singles, couples, and groups
- Set up arrangements to meet your tastes
- Quick and easy to use for casual hookups
- Flirt, chat, send pics and videos, share webcams and more
- Meet up with local gay men
- Find all the local mature singles
- Locally-focused dating site
- Meet attractive milf looking for love
- Easy-to-use platform
- Free registration
Looking for different dating sites?
Deciding which are the best apps or sites for you is going to take a little trial and error. In addition, it depends on what you’re after. We collected the most popular Gay Dating sites for you:
What do I need to know?
What is the best gay dating website and app?
Grindr is probably the most famous gay app in the world. It already existed in 2009 and the name suggests it – the app reminds strongly of other dating apps like tinder.
Currently more than 200,000 Brits use the services of the provider – worldwide there are more than 27 million people.
Grindr is, despite its almost ten years of existence, a rather modern app, which aims to address users of all age groups.
While on other portals the display photos of the members are anonymised, Grindr takes a different approach here:
Here you can find classic portraits and full body photos – there is a lot of naked skin here that is supposed to appeal to the other users.
Grindr is available for Android and iOS. To register you need an email address, a password and your age.
PlanetRomeo (also known as GayRomeo) is one of the world’s largest LGBTQ+ online communities for men. The provider also focuses on bi- and trans men. Romeo offers a gay chats and flirts.
In addition, the community provides extensive and up-to-date information on various topics related to the queer scene.
PlanetRomeo is recommended if you are looking for casual contacts for sex meetings. PlanetRomeo is less suitable for serious partner searches because the majority of members are just looking for fun.
With the free membership you already have all the functions at your disposal that you need for a meaningful use of the community.
The premium membership offers you additional functions such as radar (environment search). The costs of this portal can be classified in the lower to middle range.
As a sponsor of the series “RuPaul’s Drag Race” Scruff became well known and popular.
If you want to flirt with someone, you send them a “woof”, which is displayed as a dog paw in the app (like the thumb on Facebook). You can then exchange photos and videos with interesting men and flirt in the gay chat.
Of course, you can also use the Scruff App to indicate your sexual preferences and erotic fantasies, and which category of man you belong to: nerd, leather guy, daddy, drag queen, poz man, chub, leather guy etc. All gender identities, LGTB+ / queer-individuals, including lesbians, are welcome.
When you scroll through the profiles, the question “Interested in a meeting?” appears. You can then answer it with “No thanks” or “Definitely”. The app will then let you know if a match has been created.
“ManHunt” is one of the most popular adult dating sites that works all over the world and is famous for meeting queer males.
There are different types of users on this site. However, most of them are men who are looking for casual sex, talking and meeting each other. It was launched on 1st April 2001; the owners of the site are Jonathan Cruthchley and Larry Basile.
Many of the users have highly praised the site and many of them have claimed that it is one of the best homosexual online dating sites for a safe and refreshing online relationship. Statistics show that the site has many user histories where long-term relationships have become a permanent status quo.
The well known and popular app for homosexual, bi-sexual and transgender ‘lads’ has more than 1 million members and enjoys great popularity. The site is structured like a gay social network.
The members have profiles, they can liken, leave messages, match and much more. OnlyLads offers a chat. The full service costs around £13, but you can call up an unlimited number of profiles, send messages and use other offers.
Pictures will appear in full resolution and users can save as many “favourites” as they like. Premium users can also see who added them as favourites. Users with a free account can save a maximum of 10 friends and favourites.
The age groups are mixed, from young guys to experienced bears, so there’s something for everyone.
However, if you’re looking for something fun and without any strings attached, then apps like Grindr are exactly where it’s at. Because there are now so many niches in the homosexual community, you’ll find a huge amount of sites catering to all different tastes.
Whether you’re a fan of bears or twinks or you’re a dedicated top or bottom, you’ll find dating apps where like-minded queer men are looking for the same. The only real way to find out which is the best one for you is to try a few out and see what works.
If you know which service tickle your fancy, but want to know more, then check out some of our reviews. There’s no better way to make an educated decision than from impartial recommendations and you’ll be fully aware of all the pros and cons before you even think about a subscription.
How to choose the best Gay Dating App?
The best way to choose between the many homosexual dating sites UK providers have to choose from is to think about what you want. To help you navigate the choppy waters of online dates, we’ve put together some things you might want to consider.
• Are you looking for a meaningful relationship with someone of the same sexual orientation or would you prefer short encounters, without all the commitment? If it’s the former, then consider sites where the focus is on quality rather than quantity.
• Is discretion important to you? An important point for singles who are still in the closet and are waiting for the right moment and time to come out. Some are already in long-term partnerships or are even married.
While they might want to have some fun, it’s also important to them that their partners and their surroundings remain unaware of their extra-curricular activities and their sexual preferences.
• Is location important to you? Queer men from smaller communities might find it difficult to meet other homosexual singles. Online dating allows you to cast your net as far as you’re prepared to travel. Many apps allow you to use location and distance in your search filters.
• Are you from a particular faith or cultural background? It might be worth looking at some of the ‘niche’ gay online dating sites, so that you don’t have to worry about raising the subject in the first place. Niche services are available for a whole host of preferences and interests.
• Would you prefer to find friends, rather than a partner? Some of the best apps and sites create a sense of community, rather than focusing on finding a date. Look for applications with chat rooms and forums where you can engage with other users, at your own pace.
• How much are you prepared to spend? Same-sex dating sites for male users come in all shapes and sizes and price-ranges can vary. Test-drive a few for free before deciding which one gives you the best value for money.
Longer subscriptions tend to reduce monthly costs but can mean a larger upfront payment.
Pros & Cons of Gay Dating Apps
- On casual same-sex apps, lust wins. What for some is a negative point, for others seems to be heaven on earth. A huge selection of hot guys with whom you usually don’t have to have a long chat to get down to business.
- A platform for your ego and your wallet. No expensive club visits and then going home empty-handed, lgbtq+-friendly dating apps bring the guys to you practically right to your bed. And if you’re lucky, they’ll stay forever.
- If you are from London or Manchester it is easier to find a partner as liberal views and events like pride parades are normal and nothing extraordinary there.
But if you live in rural Britain, members of the queer community often cannot socialise openly, dating sites help, supporting your own gaydar. People who might otherwise feel left alone find a place here, as Egalitarianism has sadly not entered every part of society.
- Finding the love of your life for a serious relationship built on trust and attraction is made easy by just one click (or swipe).
- Your sex life and intimacy may become a commodity. Many apps and sites degrade male gay users to sex-hungry consumers. Profound encounters and relationships are often missed.
- Fake profiles and scammers also and especially lurk on gay dating apps. You can never be 100% sure that the person is actually the one from the profile.
- Almost everything is reduced to looks, alpha-males dominate these services and less attractive people can sometimes feel discriminated against or completely ignored, which can scratch your self-confidence and cause negative feelings.
Tips on how to make the most of gay dating apps
While society’s views towards homosexuality have been developing in the right directions and the communities are growing, there are still some dating obstacles that are specific to the homosexual community.
Using homosexual sites UK providers might take some of the pressure off, but it won’t remove all of it, still it is much more convenient than using mainstream online services like Tinder, Skout or Tagged.
One of the first things to remember, whether you’re using dating services to find a long-term partner or apps like Grindr to have some fun, is to respect other users, discrimation is not only a thing between queer and homophobic people, soma parts of the LGBTQ+ community have their own issues with for example ageism, racism and body shaming.
But in addition to these problems there is still that straight couples don’t have to deal with coming outs and this can be an emotionally tough time for some.
Your date might not be as ‘out’ as you are and may need time to announce that they’re in a same-sex relationship.
While this might be frustrating for you, a little empathy and respect can go a long way. Conversely, if you’re still quietly dusting the closet, don’t feel pressured to come out until you’re ready, as social exclusion and social rejection unfortunately still might exist.
In all cases, honesty is the best tactic and stating exactly what you’re looking for and what you will and won’t tolerate are key to finding like-minded partners.
The best place to do this is on your profile. While most throw the spotlight on their photos, a good ‘About Me’ piece is the best way to ensure that the guys you’re matched with are the guys you want to talk to. Be open about who you are and what you want from your date but don’t play all your cards at once.
Photos are vital on dating sites and apps like Grindr, Gleeden or Adam4Adam, where the aim of the game is a casual hookup.
However, don’t assume that just because you’re on them, they must be great. Choose photos that portray you in an honest light, to save a lot of wasted time and potential disappointment while searching for a serious partner.
Engaging with other singles on in-app forums and chat rooms is another great way of testing the waters.
It’s also important to keep yourself safe online, particularly if you want to keep your private life private. Try and choose a username that doesn’t reveal anything too personal about you, such as your surname or phone number.
Offline safety is just as important as online. Whether you’re just hooking up or meeting for a romantic date, meet in public to begin with. You might want to set a time-limit on your first encounter, just to find out more about your date, before committing any further.
Click here for more Tips and guides on Gay Dating
Why are Gay Dating Sites so popular & how did they get there?
The first of the gay dating sites was launched in 1999 and since then there has been an explosion in the number of applications for serious relationships.
Some of the better mobile homosexual platforms in the UK offer to use geo-locational tracking to show you where your potential dates are and meet for dates.
Homosexual apps have revolutionised the way mature queer men in the 21st Century are able to connect with each other. Finding wonderful gay partners is so much easier via modern online services.
Gay sites are driven by the passion and sex drive of men all around the world. Apps like OnlyLads and Grindr are providing the best chances to find friendships, relationships, love and sex.
Gay dating online FAQs
If you are wondering about how to find the right gay partner(s), you can find some tips to get started in our answers to common gay dating queries below.
How can I meet gay guys?
While there are many gay dating options, it’s easier to meet gay guys online. This is especially true if you live in an area where there isn’t much in terms of gay or queer nightlife.
With so many convenient dating apps, people have largely moved online when it comes to finding potential partners and hookups – gay dating is no exception.
How do I choose the right gay dating app or site?
To choose the right gay dating app or site, you want to check reviews and potentially try out the free version or trial options. You want to look at ease of use, compare pricing with features and safety policies.
The reviews above this section are a great starting point to pick gay dating apps and sites to try out. From the details above, you can get a sense of the strengths and features of each gay dating service.
What should I put on my gay dating profile?
You will want to put some pictures of yourself as well as a bio and description of what you’re after. Each app will have its own options in terms of what you can add. However, the four things you want to show in your gay dating profile are that:
- You are actually a real human
- You are upfront about what you’re looking
- You are open to chat
When it comes to writing your bio, think of it as a teaser rather than an autobiography. Only put things you’re comfortable sharing. This also applies to HIV/STD status (as long as you disclose once you chat with someone), top/bottom/verse, height and body type.
What should I look for in online gay dating profiles?
You need to know what you’re looking for. Are you after a hookup, casual or something long-term? Beyond that, you will generally want to go for profiles that have clear pictures and bios that resonate with you.
How can I have a good experience with gay dating online?
Having a good experience with gay dating online starts with not waiting for a message. If you match with a hot guy, take the initiative and text first. Even if he doesn’t answer, you literally have nothing to lose.
When chatting with a cute hunk on a gay dating site, show you are excited to be talking to them. You want to show that he is the object of your attention. This means sending meaningful messages but you want to make sure they’re not too long. Get to the heart of the matter and then let them respond.
Finally, be kind to yourself and others. The best way to do this is to be patient and realistic. Some online interactions may not go as you hope but that’s no reason to stop looking for the right guy.