Whether you’re looking to find love or something less serious, do you know what your options are for dating apps? We’re aware that it can be difficult to meet people from the LGBTQIA+ community which is exactly why we’re going to share our recommendations for the best dating apps!
How can I meet & date people from the LGBTQIA+ community?
Technically, it’s possible to meet queer friends and dates almost anywhere but dating online has become the leading method to meet new people. Not only do you have the possibility to filter for things such as distance, sexuality, gender, and even possibly interests, but you can meet many more people online at once compared to in person.
Even though this article is about dating sites and apps, where else can you look to meet someone from the LGBTQIA+ community? This of course can depend on your own hobbies and interests, but we’ll share some ideas below.
- Social media apps such as Instagram
- LGBTQIA+ clubs or groups at school
- Local events
- Gay or LGBTQIA+ bars
These are only a few ideas and you can certainly meet more people elsewhere. The best advice is to find out what local events are happening in your area. Some places to check for events include Facebook and the app called Meetup.
The best LGBTQIA+ dating sites
Are you looking for a dating site or app to try but aren’t sure where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Below, we offer some of our suggestions that are categorized by your sexuality and gender identity. All of our suggestions have a free membership option.
Grindr is the oldest and most popular dating app for gay men. Grindr has recently updated itself to include other members of the LGBTQ+ community, but it’s originally and mainly used by gay men.
One thing to keep in mind is that many members use the app to look for hookups, so it’s a good idea to include if you’re looking for something long-term in your profile.
Grindr allows users to message anyone for free and also send “taps” to let a user know that you’re interested in them. However, because it allows anyone to send a message, there are possible issues of spamming and harassment, but there’s a feature to report and block users.
HER is one of the top dating apps for lesbian, bisexual, and queer women. An interesting feature of this app is beyond being a dating app, it also includes LGBTQ+ news and lets you know if there are any local events happening in your area.
One thing to keep in mind is that you need either a Facebook or Instagram account to make a profile on HER.
All of the core features on HER are free, but it also has a premium upgrade that allows you to do things such as see who’s online and filter users by sexuality and gender identity.
Trans & non-binary
OkCupid and Taimi are a few of the best apps for transgender and non-binary people. OkCupid is credited with being the first dating app to allow users to set your gender identity and sexual orientation, so it’s one of the most LGBTQ+ friendly apps out there.
Not a lot of people have heard about Taimi, but it’s an all-inclusive LGBTQ+ dating app that also has a community feature that allows you to join groups based on your personal interests or identities. Besides swiping on potential matches, you can also find groups that you’re interested in and interact with those.
Bumble is a great dating app for bisexual people, especially bisexual women. Bumble is originally designed to allow the woman to be able to message their match first, but in a same-sex match, either person can send the first message.
Anyone from any sexuality and gender identity can use Bumble, but queer women have the extra advantage of both sides being able to message each other.
OkCupid and Tinder are great general choices if you’ve tried other suggestions on this list. As mentioned earlier, OkCupid has a long history of accepting the LGBTQ+ community as a whole and giving you many options to choose from to help display your authentic self on your profile.
Tinder of course isn’t exclusively for the LGBTQ+ community, but we’ve suggested it because of their large userbase. With the number of people that use Tinder daily, there’s a high chance that you could find a date!
Lex is great for closeted people who want to date as it doesn’t use profile pictures like most other online dating sites. It describes itself as being an older-fashioned dating app that focuses more on the personal information that you fill out on your profile, rather than having people swipe on you for your looks.
For a closeted person, there is a concern that someone could recognize you on dating apps, which is why an app like Lex may be a good choice for you.
What makes a good queer dating service?
The main thing that makes a great dating website or app for LGBTQIA+ people is how inclusive it is. At a minimum, it should have an option to choose or type in your pronouns, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
It’s not required, but it helps a lot when an app is more catered towards the queer community as it helps to provide a safe space for its users. An app like Tinder that’s used by many people around the world has the potential for LGBTQIA+ people to experience bullying and harassment by people they thought they were matching with.
Whether or not a general dating app is specifically catered to the queer community, it’s important for the site or app to have policies in place to deal with harassment and bullying so that problematic users can be removed.
Pros & cons of free dating apps
Now, let’s break down some of the pros and cons of using the free membership options on dating apps.
- It’s free to use!
- Many apps allow you to use a lot of the main features for free.
- Large userbase apps such as Tinder also allow you to join for free, helping you have access to more people.
- You can often completely personalize your profile on dating apps for free.
- There are usually paywalls to access premium features on dating apps such as being able to filter users or being able to see who has liked you.
- Depending on your budget, paying for premium features every month can be costly. Often the premium features on dating apps are over $10 per month.
- You may be faced with internal ads or notifications to try to get you to subscribe to the premium features.
The best LGBTQIA+ dating sites in the UK
Find the top sites that offer the best casual dating and serious dating experiences.
- Over 13 million active users on the site
- Intelligent matchmaking based on background and interests
- 85% of members have a professional background
- Matches based on questionnaire for attitude, opinions, desires, and expectations
- Get your questionnaire, personality assessment, and matches all completely free
- Aimed at the educated crowd and focused on helping you meet your special someone
- Best for: Authentic 50+ matchmaking
- Free membership: Free registration, limited
- Users: 60,000
- #1 trusted dating app in the UK
- For serious, long-term relationships
- Free registration
- Perfect for: People looking to flirt and starts things off in a fun way
- Find someone in your neighbourhood
- Chat with like-minded singles straight away
- Fun chat function that lets you send texts, voice notes, pictures, gifts and more
- Great search function
- The place to find like-minded people who are looking for meaningful relationships
- Immediate support from professional team
- 1000s of profiles
Personality assessment for enhanced screening
Global reach. Match with like-minded singles all over the world
Meet your equal in values, lifestyle, and career ambition
- Ignite romance right in your vicinity
- Enjoy exact matching thanks to accurate filters;
- And explore many more benefits that will help you find love!
- Offers unlimited messages and great value with a Welcome Offer for the new members
- More than a dating site. Gives access to engaging and unique VIP Content for its premium members
- Secure. Supports a variety of safe and convenient payment options, like Google Pay and Apple Pay
- Easy and convenient interface
- Perfect for casual dating & hookups
- Plenty of members for you to have fun with
- Best for: Anonymous and discreet encounters
- Free membership: Free registration
- Users: Chat with thousands of attractive singles
Engage in romantic conversations of an exciting nature with REBLL Network’s premium British dating community. If you are looking for teasingly playful connections, meaningful deeper interactions, or anything in between, you have arrived at your destination! Let us create memorable experiences for you that leave you both satisfied and wanting more. Check out our perks:
Flirty Conversations: Engage in playful banter, exchange virtual surprises, and enjoy interactive charm with potential matches that make your heart race.
Captivating Profiles: Create a profile that dazzles! Share your most alluring photos, fun videos, and witty bio snippets to showcase your unique charm.
Exciting Encounters: Join us at local events, where sparks fly, connections sizzle, and you'll find yourself wrapped up in thrilling moments with other singles in the UK.
Personalized Connections: Immerse yourself in Exclusive Matches, where cutting-edge algorithms work their magic, connecting you with individuals who ignite your interests and desires.
Safety with a Spark: Your safety is our top priority, wrapped in an air of mystery and excitement. Exclusive Matches ensures a secure yet exhilarating dating experience, where you can let your guard down and embrace the adventure.
- Large database of Asian and European singles in the UK
- Full control of your profile to set your desired privacy settings
- Attend virtual events to meet even more members
- Best for: Open-minded looking for "no strings attached" fun
- Free membership: Free registration, limited
- Users: 54 million
- Meet attractive Asian, European, & Latino singles
- Quick and free signup
- Casual or serious online dating