What do I need to know?
Know what you’re in for
You might be interested in single parent dating and would like to know what some of the benefits and difficulties involved can be.
We will give you the rundown on some of the major difficulties you can expect when you start to date a single father and what you should keep in mind about these issues. In addition, we will go over some of the perks that dating a single has to offer.
To round things off, we will give you some tips on how to date a single dad and make it work for you. These tips can also be helpful for anyone who was wondering “How to date a single mum?” or “How to date a single person with kids?”, so keep an open mind and read on to learn more!
Some of the difficulties you may face dating a single father
It isn’t easy to date as a single parent, and it also isn’t always easy to date one either. However, the rewards for doing so can be enormous, and you can find yourself truly being happy having done so. Before you start, here are some things to be aware of that might make dating difficult:
Time management can be more of an issue
As you may well know, it isn’t easy to raise kids, and they require a lot of time, focus, and energy. If you are dating someone who has kids already, then you will quickly find that the amount of time in their day that is left for you has already been drastically reduced.
This does mean that date times can be pretty short at here and there, and that you may not always get to spend the time with a single dad that you would like to. However, there are ways around this, including spending time with him and his kids.
It might not be the romantic alone time you were hoping for, but if you want to be a part of a family with someone you have feelings for, then you need to take the whole package and not just what first attracted you.
The kids are going to come first all the time, every time
It may be a problem for some people, but when you are dating a single parent, be it a father or a mother, then you have to accept the fact that their children not only will come first in their lives, but that they should come first in their lives.
Going in lockstep with the issue of time management, you are just going to have to settle for the fact that the kids take priority over you. The best thing to do here is to be patient and flexible. Besides, you wouldn’t really want to be with someone who put other people above their own kids.
Having to play the mother role
If it wasn’t obvious to you at some point when you thought to start dating a single dad, then it should become clear soon enough that, even if you are a girlfriend and potentially something more to your date, you will also be some type of mother-figure to the children.
If you aren’t comfortable with playing that kind of role in a family setting, especially one that you are trying to join, then perhaps dating a single parent isn’t for you. If you are okay with it, remember to take things slow so everyone, you and the dad and the kids, can adjust to the new dynamic.
Just don’t try to exert your authority over the children. In a relationship where you are dating, you can tank your future with all parties involved if you are too strict or pushy with the children. Know where the boundaries lie and be open and flexible, and you will do fine.
The benefits of dating a single father
If you can deal with some of the difficulties involved with dating a single dad, then you will be happy to know that there are also some great positives to dating a single father as well:
He’s able to put himself into perspective
Nothing sobers a man up and makes him see that he is not the center of the universe better than having to be a single parent. It is a tough job and it requires a lot of focus, attention, and a clear set of priorities. He’s able to take care of others, yourself too, without letting his ego get the best of him.
Responsibility is a requirement
A single father that is worth dating is one who is responsible, meaning that they can plan ahead, prioritize their time well, and have their own life in order. If dating someone responsible is important to you, then a single dad should have that in spades.
They know what they want
Any single parent, father or mother, who puts in the effort to show up for dates and spend time with you when possible is someone who has a clearer goal for your relationship than someone without kids. It means they want a long-term commitment, which avoids ducking around the question.
If you know you want to settle down, then a single parent is someone who most likely will be feeling the same thing if all things go well for you both.
How to make dating a single dad work for you
Dating a single father can be a difficult but enormously rewarding experience. It is important to take the time to be patient with how the relationship progresses, understanding of what his priorities are, and not to be too pushy with inserting yourself into their family dynamic.
If you give it time and get to know not only the father but the kids, then it is only a matter of time before your relationship pans out into something much deeper.
Best UK dating site recommendations
These are our top picks for UK dating sites. Find the best option that works for you.
- Over 13 million active users on the site
- Intelligent matchmaking based on background and interests
- 85% of members have a professional background
- Great for: Highly educated singles who want to find love
- Free registration
- 190,000 users (and counting)
- Best for: Authentic 50+ matchmaking
- Free membership: Free registration, limited
- Users: 60,000
- Perfect for: Anyone looking for something serious long-term
- Free Registration
- The UK's #1 trusted dating app
- Perfect for: People looking to flirt and starts things off in a fun way
- Find someone in your neighbourhood
- Chat with like-minded singles straight away
- Large database of verified & attractive Asian singles
- Efficient communication tools for real relationships
- Top-level safety and professional support
- Where you could find love and romance without boundaries
- Our instant messaging service brings you closer together than ever before.
- Fun chat function that lets you send texts, voice notes, pictures, gifts and more
- Great search function
- The place to find like-minded people who are looking for meaningful relationships
- Immediate support from professional team
- 1000s of profiles
- Experienced singles looking for good relationships
- Excellent atmosphere to get closer easily
- Online chatting with attractive people
- Plenty of chances to meet your one and only
- Free registration
- Best for: Anonymous and discreet encounters
- Free membership: Free registration
- Users: Chat with thousands of attractive singles
- Find all the local mature singles
- Locally-focused dating site
- Meet attractive milf looking for love
- Easy-to-use platform
- Free registration