While sugar daddy dating and relationships are on the rise, there is still some confusion surrounding the legalities of such an arrangement. Stereotypical (and often wildly misinformed) ideas about sugar daddies and sugar babies can, in many people’s minds, put a sugar relationship into the same bracket as the adult industry.
However, as the vast majority of sugar babies know, this simply isn’t the case. Sugar relationships are forged between consenting adults, with both parties benefitting.
For the benefactor, it can be something of an ego-boost to enjoy the company of a younger, attractive man or woman. For the beneficiary, it can be in the form of pampering, money or gifts.
While sex is not automatically part of the agreement, sugar relationships are little more than a mutually-benefitting agreement. The good news for anyone wanting to become a sugar daddy or baby is that the deal is perfectly legal. We’ve taken an in-depth look into the legalities of being a sugar baby, and how to stay on the right side of the law in any sugar daddy/sugar baby relationship.
Table of Contents
How to legally conduct a sugar relationship
With sensationalist newspapers and media blurring the lines between sugar relationships and sex workers, it can be important to know something of the legalities that are involved. Here are a few of the most important:
- There can be no exchange of cash or material goods in return for sex. Anything given to a sugar baby is purely a gift and comes with no requirement or expectation of sexual intimacy.
- A sugar baby must be at least 18 years of age and have the mental capacity to understand the arrangement they are entering into.
- Any sexual intimacy between a sugar daddy and a sugar baby must be consensual. If a sugar baby is coerced, manipulated, bullied or forced into sex, it immediately becomes a matter for the police.
While the legalities of a sugar relationship are fairly self-explanatory, there are other factors that anyone entering into this kind of deal should consider. These are not legal requirements, but they can help to ensure that your arrangement is as hassle-free as possible for both parties.
- Sugar babies should consider what they are and are not prepared to do as part of a sugar relationship. These boundaries should be made crystal-clear from the start.
- For the beneficiary, deciding what they want in terms of gifts or cash, is important. As long as both individuals are aware of these conditions, there can be no disappointment or misunderstandings along the way.
- If a sugar daddy requires discretion, a sugar baby should honour that in order for the relationship to progress satisfactorily.
For more information on how sugar daddy relationships work, click here!
Be aware of others
While being a sugar baby isn’t illegal, it can come with its own set of problems. The uninformed tend to perceive this sort of set-up as something to be ashamed of, and many sugar babies can feel isolated as a result. Families and friends who don’t understand this modern version of companionship can express negative views and, in some cases, cut ties.
If you are thinking of becoming a sugar baby, it can help to tell someone – but only someone in whom you have 100% trust. However, on no account should you discuss the identity of your sugar daddy, particularly if they are married or in the public eye.
A legal arrangement
The cornerstone of any sugar relationship is a genuine, emotional connection, with a few material perks thrown in for good measure. Within the eyes of the Law, people are free to engage in mutually-consenting relationships as they see fit and, as long as there is no expectation or obligation towards sex, the giving and receiving of gifts or money is entirely legal. It should be noted that there are a variety of age-mixing types of dating apps, such as MILF dating sites.
However, many sugar relationships do become sexual. As long as this is by reciprocal consent, it is not a matter for the police or the courts, but is entirely the business of the two parties involved.